- Essential oils should never be used directly on skin.
- If an Essential Oil has caused an allergic reaction its use should be discontinued immediately. The affected area should be cleaned with cold water. Plain coconut oil or sesame oil can be applied.
- Some Citrus Oils like Lime, Bergamot, Lemon are phototoxic. It is recommended to leave 1-2 hour window time before exposure to UV light.
- While using essential oils in diffuser it is important not to use it continuously at a time for more than 30 mins.
- Young children and elderly can be more sensitive to essential oils. Always consult before using them wisely.
- Essential Oils should always be stored in cool and dark place to avoid oxidation. It is recommended to use the bottle within 6 months after opening.
So many of us have heard about essential oils given the exodus of information google has. But have you ever wondered that why essential oils need professional guidance before you can use them wisely? Read more onto our blog where we have talked about the pros and cons of using essential oils in daily routine. Essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. They are also known as volatile oils/ ethereal oils or simply oil of plants from which they were extracted like clove oil. Essential oils are extracted by steam distillation or solvent extraction or cold pressed technique. They can be from any plant part like herb, leaves, twigs, grass or wood or rinds. That is why they are highly concentrated and need to be diluted well before using judiciously. 1 drop of essential oil = 40 cups of herbal tea ( 75x100x more concentrated than the actual herb ) 30 hand picked blossoms or 2000 petals to produce 1 drop of Rose Essential Oil ( which makes the oil really expensive ) Precautions before using Essential Oils